Photo Credits: Stanley Leroux / Pascal Haudiquert

BUD Racing Kawasaki’s Mitchell Harrison overcame adversity to put in two gritty points-scoring rides in the Dutch round of the FIM World MX2 Motocross Championship at Valkenswaard.

The American used his tenth-placed gate pick from Qualification to good effect to secure his best start of the season so far, advancing methodically from a first lap thirteenth to eleventh mid-moto before a slip in the heavy going cost him two places but the set-back could not dampen his enthusiasm and a tremendous surge through the final five laps secured a deserved tenth at the chequered flag. The innocent victim of a collision involving a number of riders at the start of race two which cost him more than a minute he showed great spirit to maintain his lap times throughout the thirty-five-minute race to add a further four points to his championship score, missing the top ten overall by just a single point.

Mitchell Harrison: “This weekend was another step in the right direction. The track was actually a lot of fun; it was deep but I enjoyed it. You know, these first two races were hard, but we’re in Europe and that’s normal. I had a good ride in the first race for tenth, but the second moto was hard work; I crashed in the start and again later in the race. Each weekend is getting better and better; I’m out there trying to have fun and we’ll see where it takes us. “

Each of the riders from the F&H Kawasaki MX2 Racing Team had their moments of glory but each also encountered misfortune. His host of home country supporters anticipated an impressive performance from Roan van de Moosdijk and the Dutch teenager did not disappoint them as he advanced decisively from ninth to sixth during the first half of the opening moto and had his sights on third until he turned an ankle in one of the numerous deep ruts which had developed in the wake of several weeks of rain. He defied the pain to complete the race in twelfth position but was unable to start the second moto as he was taken to the local hospital for a detailed evaluation of the injury. Mikkel Haarup took over as leading F&H teamster in the first race in eighth place until a late crash cost him one position and he came home ninth. The Danish teenager’s second moto was of short duration as he only sighted a fallen rider on the exit from the first chicane at the last second when the rider immediately ahead of him veered to avoid a collision; he crashed heavily into the stricken machine and, badly shaken, had to abandon the race. Mathys Boisrame had suffered a similar set-back at the start of race one but returned for race two to take a top-six start; the French youngster advanced decisively to take over second place before half-distance but lost four places a couple of laps later when he slid off in the heavy sand at the bottom of a steep climb. A pit-stop for fresh goggles cost him more time but he was one of the few riders to avoid being lapped by the winner as he still finished tenth.

Mathys Boisrame: “I was pretty shook up after the crash at the start of race one, but my second moto was going good as I moved up to second. Unfortunately, I slid off at the bottom of a hill and it was difficult to get going again; I needed to stop for fresh goggles too. I’m happy with my speed; I just need to put it together into results in the next GPs. “

Courtesy Kawasaki