GASGAS Factory Racing have enjoyed a solid showing at the MXGP of Trentino with Standing Construct’s Ivo Monticelli placing a spirited seventh overall in the highly-competitive MXGP class. Isak Gifting also delivered the goods, placing seventh and continuing his run of impressive results in the MX2 class. Isak’s DIGA Procross teammate Michael Sandner dug deep to deliver his best ever MX2 class results, putting together strong 14-13 finishes on his way to 12th overall.
• Positive start to final MXGP triple-header for GASGAS Factory Racing
• Standing Construct’s Monticelli matches season best overall result
• DIGA Procross teammates deliver solid results on Italian hardpack
The MXGP of Trentino kicked off the first of three events set to be held on the hardpack Pietramurata circuit over the coming week. With the season’s end now well within sight, all GASGAS Factory Racing riders were focused on enjoying the Italian track and delivering solid results at round 16.
Racing on home soil, Italian Ivo Monticelli qualified third-fastest in MXGP, setting the tone for a positive day despite being hit from behind in the first turn of race one. Lucky to stay upright but dropping down the field, Ivo charged from 17th to 12th on the opening lap before slotting into ninth on lap four. Despite knocking on the door for eighth, he backed things down and raced to a solid ninth-place finish.
A strong start in race two allowed Monticelli to take a tight inside line through turn two, to emerge in sixth and avoid the early-race chaos. Then dropping back a few places to ninth, he formed part of a five-rider battle for fifth as the race progressed. Battling past Dylan Walsh and moving into eighth as the race reached half distance, Ivo maintained his position to the finish, going on to match his season-best overall result of seventh.
With the ink only just dry on his 2021 DIGA Procross GASGAS Factory Racing contract, Isak Gifting proved he is just as capable on hard pack circuits as he is in the sand. Race one saw Gifting make a strong start with the Swede going on to enjoy a largely trouble-free moto. Maintaining sixth for most of the race, he lost just one spot at the halfway stage to Conrad Mewse, going on to claim a seventh-place finish.
Race two was a little more lively for Gifting. Battling early on with teammate Sandner, he held down seventh place before withstanding pressure from last weekend’s overall winner Ben Watson. As the race entered the closing stages, Gifting lost his position, but then got lucky as Roan Van De Moosdijk tipped over, handing seventh back to Isak. Racing on to another seventh-place finish, the super-Swede placed seventh overall, his fifth consecutive top-10 result.
Michael Sandner delivered a pair of impressive performances at the MXGP of Trentino. Strong starts in both races saw the Austrian run up front in the top-10, learning the pace of the leading riders as he went. Despite an unfortunate collision with another rider early in race one, which resulted in a bent clutch lever, the undeterred MC 250F rider raced to a 14th place finish, his best result of the season.
Michael ripped to another strong start in race two and was looking good on the slick Pietramurata circuit. Placed well inside the top 10 for most of the race, he slipped back a few spots to 13th at the finish. A positive result nonetheless as it beat his previous best-ever moto result from race one! When paired together, Sandner claimed 12th overall, another career-best!
Ivo Monticelli: “Italian hardpack is a good surface for me! I really like this track and I felt comfortable all day. Qualifying was good, third place and I knew that with some good starts I would run top 10, and I did. Ninth and eighth in the races, this is where I should be. I’m in a good spot now and I’m excited for the last two GPs.”
Isak Gifting: “Another good day for me today. I felt good in the races and felt better as the races went on. I passed some really good riders today and seventh overall is a good result on hardpack for me. I learned a lot today and we can apply this for Wednesday. We’ll keep working and finish the season strong.”
Michael Sandner: “Awesome day for me today. Good flow and a good feeling in time practice. I was a long time on pole then in the end sixth, so this was really good for my confidence. First moto, good start in fourth and then I passed Watson for third. Unfortunately, Watson jumped into the side of me and I crashed hard but I’m okay! I finished 14th with a twisted clutch lever, so not too bad. Second moto, another awesome start. I was third for a couple laps and finished with a solid 13th place for 12th overall and my best results ever!”
Both Standing Construct GASGAS Factory Racing and DIGA Procross GASGAS Factory Juniors return to action at the picturesque Pietramurata venue on November 4 for the penultimate round of the FIM Motocross World Championship.
Results – 2020 FIM Motocross World Championship, Round 16
MXGP – Overall
- Antonio Cairoli (KTM) 44; 2. Tim Gajser (Honda) 43; 3. Clement Desalle (Kawasaki) 40… 7. Ivo Monticelli (GASGAS) 25
MXGP – Race 1
- Tim Gajser (Honda) 20 laps, 35:06:977; 2. Antonio Cairoli (KTM) 35:14:868; 3. Jeremy Seewer (Yamaha) 35:37:082… 9. Ivo Monticelli (GASGAS) 36:20:938
MXGP – Race 2
- Clement Desalle (Kawasaki) 20 laps, 35:15:111; 2. Antonio Cairoli (KTM) 35:17:332; 3. Gautier Paulin (Yamaha) 35:24:183… 8. Ivo Monticelli (GASGAS) 36:12:417
MX2 – Overall
- Jago Geerts (Yamaha) 43; 2. Thomas Kjer Olsen (Husqvarna) 43; 3. Tom Vialle (KTM) 42… 7. Isak Gifting (GASGAS) 35; 12. Michael Sander (GASGAS) 15
MX2 – Race 1
- Thomas Kjer Olsen (Husqvarna) 33:39:847; 2. Tom Vialle (KTM) 33:41:877; 3. Jed Beaton (Husqvarna) 33:43:156… 7. Isak Gifting (GASGAS) 34:14:598; 14. Michael Sandner (GASGAS) 34:54:453
MX2 – Race 2
- Jago Geerts (Yamaha) 19 laps, 33:54:442; 2. Thibault Benistant (Yamaha) 33:56:540; 3. Tom Vialle (KTM) 34:02:259… 7. Isak Gifting (GASGAS) 34:36:062; 13. Michael Sandner (GASGAS) 35:03:616
Championship Standings – After Round 16
- Tim Gajser (Honda) 626pts; 2. Antonio Cairoli (KTM) 553; 3. Jeremy Seewer (Yamaha) 535… 8. Glenn Coldenhoff (GASGAS) 375; 16. Ivo Monticelli (GASGAS) 186
- Tom Vialle (KTM) 693pts; 2. Jago Geerts (Yamaha) 520; 3. Maxime Renaux (Yamaha) 505; 13. Isak Gifting (GASGAS) 207; 28. Simon Langenfelder (GASGAS) 59; 30. Michael Sandner (GASGAS) 46; 31. Jeremy Sydow (GASGAS) 35