GASGAS FACTORY RACING YOUNGSTER COMES OUT SWINGING AT MXGP OF LIMBURG
DIGA Procross Factory Junior’s Isak Gifting has delivered an incredible result at round 14 of the MX2 World Championship. In just his sixth race for the team, the young Swede claimed two fifth-place finishes at the brutally rough Lommel circuit, rewarding the MX2 class newcomer with an exceptional fourth overall. Isak’s DIGA Procross teammate Michael Sandner also impressed, claiming the moto one holeshot before racing to a 16th place finish. In the MXGP class, Standing Construct GASGAS Factory Racing’s Ivo Monticelli had a consistent, point-scoring day with two 12th place finishes for 11th overall.
- Isak Gifting continues rapid progression in MX2 World Championship
- Standing Construct’s Monticelli records 12/12 results at challenging GP
- DIGA Procross’ MC 250F claims second MX2 class holeshot of the season
Isak Gifting was the star performer for GASGAS Factory Racing at the MXGP of Limburg. A strong start in moto one saw the ever-improving racer then crash out of fourth place on lap two. Frustratingly, slipping down to 14th the Swede then put on an incredible charge. Utilizing a number of fast, sweeping lines to move forwards through the pack at a rapid rate, he slotted into sixth place at the halfway stage. Gifting continued with his blistering pace and inherited fifth position on the penultimate lap when Stephen Rubini crashed. Going on to bring his MC 250F home in fifth, Isak claimed a career-best MX2 result.
From the drop of the gate in race two Gifting was fired up for another strong result, challenging for second place in the third corner. Losing time while trying to make the pass stick, he then settled into fourth, moving into third on lap eight. Two laps later the 19-year-old crashed but was quick to remount in fifth. Another crash on the penultimate lap saw him drop to sixth but undeterred, he charged back past Thomas Kjer Olsen and held on to finish fifth to claim an exceptional fourth overall.
Michael Sandner claimed the holeshot in the day’s opening MX2 moto. Running up front for a number of laps, the Austrian then held seventh position before continuing to record consistent laps around the brutally rough Belgian circuit. Never giving up, Sandner placed 16th in the moto, collecting more MX2 World Championship points in the process. Race two wasn’t quite so prosperous for the Austrian. Unable to replicate his moto one start, he raced within the point-scoring positions before just slipping out of the top 20 in the closing stages.
Ivo Monticelli delivered a pair of consistent results at the MXGP of Limburg, placing 12th in both races aboard his MC 450F. Not quite making the best of starts in race one, he pushed forwards and shadowed a battle for ninth place at the halfway stage. The Italian went on to claim 12th in the moto. Race two was much the same and with a trouble-free ride, Ivo claimed another 12th place, giving him 11th overall.
Glenn Coldenhoff was absent from the MXGP of Limburg following his injury sustained at round 13. Unfortunately for the Dutchman, the compression fractures to two vertebrae in his back will take time to heal, bringing an early end to his season. The round three winner will now focus on a full recovery ahead of the 2021 season.
In the EMX125 class, David Braceras claimed an impressive first overall with a 2-1 result to mark his maiden win in the class. Following three overall podium results in recent weeks, the Spaniard continues to hold down his strong second place in the championship standings with one round remaining.
Isak Gifting: “It’s an amazing feeling. Eighth overall and now fourth overall, I’m really happy. I knew from my qualifying time that I was on the pace, and I know my fitness is good so I was confident ahead of both races. Even with crashes in both races I was fifth place so it has been a great day for me. I did get a little tired towards the end of race two but I stayed on the gas until the end. We’re making some really great progress so I can’t wait until Sunday.”
Michael Sandner: “My day was not so bad with the holeshot in first moto. I rode for 20 minutes really good but then lost a little bit of my rhythm. I finished 16th so this was a good result for me. Second moto, I made a little mistake on the first lap and then I was dead last. I reached 17th but then I crashed again and lost my flow, finishing 23rd. I’m looking forward for a better GP on Sunday for the last one here at Lommel.”
Ivo Monticelli: “Today was tough, but I gave my best in both motos and two 12th place finishes is a step in the right direction. I know need to focus more on my starts so that I can run with the top guys and know the pace. Overall I’m happy, but now I need to move into the top 10 as this is where I should be.”
Standing Construct GASGAS Factory Racing and DIGA Procross Factory Juniors will next compete in the FIM Motocross World Championship at round 15 of the series on October 25, returning to the Lommel venue for the third and final time.
Results – 2020 FIM Motocross World Championship, Round 14
MXGP – Overall
- Jorge Prado (KTM) 47; 2. Tim Gajser (Honda) 45; 3. Antonio Cairoli (KTM) 38… 11. Ivo Monticelli (GASGAS) 18
MXGP – Race 1
- Tim Gajser (Honda) 16 laps, 35:51:802; 2. Jorge Prado (KTM) 36:01:262; 3. Romain Febvre (Kawasaki) 36:11:079… 12. Ivo Monticelli (GASGAS) 37:31:485
MXGP – Race 2
- Jorge Prado (KTM) 16 laps, 35:54:221; 2. Antonio Cairoli (KTM) 35:55:570; 3. Tim Gajser (Honda) 36:01:730… 12. Ivo Monticelli (GASGAS) 37:12:452
MX2 – Overall
- Tom Vialle (KTM) 47; 2. Ben Watson (Yamaha) 42; 3. Jago Geerts (Yamaha) 39; 4. Isak Gifting (GASGAS) 32… 20. Michael Sandner (GASGAS) 5
MX2 – Race 1
- Jago Geerts (Yamaha) 16 laps, 36:00:760; 2. Tom Vialle (KTM) 36:11:622; 3. Ben Watson (Yamaha) 36:39:037… 5. Isak Gifting (GASGAS) 36:58:281; 16. Michael Sandner (GASGAS) 15 laps, 39:09:778
MX2 – Race 2
- Tom Vialle (KTM) 16 laps, 35:54:380; 2. Ben Watson (Yamaha) 35:57:369; 3. Roan Van De Moosdijk (Kawasaki) 36:03:674… 5. Isak Gifting (GASGAS) 36:20:862; 23. Michael Sandner (GASGAS) 15 laps, 37:11:878
Championship Standings – After Round 14
- Tim Gajser (Honda) 533pts; 2. Antonio Cairoli (KTM) 478; 3. Jorge Prado (KTM) 476… 6. Glenn Coldenhoff (GASGAS) 375; 16. Ivo Monticelli (GASGAS) 150
- Tom Vialle (KTM) 616pts; 2. Jago Geerts (Yamaha) 555; 3. Maxime Renaux (Yamaha) 438; 14. Isak Gifting (GASGAS) 144; 28. Simon Langenfelder (GASGAS) 59; 29. Jeremy Sydow (GASGAS) 35; 31. Michael Sandner (GASGAS) 31