Colton Haaker maintains his top three
Earning a third-place overall result at the championship opener in Poland last December, the Rockstar Energy Husqvarna Factory Racing rider was eager to improve in Germany. Quickly figuring out the fast and technical course, the AMA EnduroCross Champion fired a warning shot to his rivals early in the night by recording the fastest time in the SuperPole Hot Lap qualifying.
However, becoming involved in a start crash in race one, which included teammate Alfredo Gomez, the incident played on Haaker’s mind and resulted in some uncharacteristic mistakes from the two-time world champion. Numerous errors during each of the three motos saw him forced to play catch up. Third in race one, he then improved to secure a pair of second place finishes, but ultimately missed the overall runner-up result by just one point.
Alfredo Gomez’ night came to an unfortunate end in race one. Involved in a freak start straight incident, the Husqvarna rider suffered an injury to his left elbow and took no further part in the proceedings.
The 2019 FIM SuperEnduro World Championship continues with round three in Madrid on January 26.
“It’s been a strange night for me in Riesa and one where I felt things just didn’t go my way. It wasn’t that I was riding bad, it just wasn’t coming together for me throughout the night. There were a couple of sections on the track that I wasn’t strong enough in and no matter how I changed things up, it didn’t click. I had position in race three but didn’t manage to push for the race win. Overall, despite feeling things could have been better, a 3-2-2 scorecard, plus the SuperPole, is still a good night. We’ve Madrid in two weeks and it’s a venue where I won my first world title so I’m looking forward to returning there and improving on where I’m at. Finally, I want to pass on my best wishes to Alfredo Gomez following his crash tonight. It’s tough to see anyone go down but when it’s your teammate, it makes it that bit worse. I hope to see him back on track as soon as possible.”Colton Haaker
Results – FIM SuperEnduro World Championship, Round 2
Prestige Class — Overall
1. Cody Webb (KTM) 57 points; 2. Taddy Blazusiak (KTM) 53 pts; 3. Colton Haaker (Husqvarna) 52 pts; 4. Cristobal Guerrero (Yamaha) 35 pts; 5. Pol Tarres (Husqvarna) 33 pts
Prestige Race 1
1. Cody Webb (KTM) 10 laps, 6:46.552; 2. Taddy Blazusiak (KTM) 6:50.994; 3. Colton Haaker (Husqvarna) 7:23.168; 4. Kevin Gallas (Husqvarna) 9 laps, 7:05.780; 5. Cristobal Guerrero (Yamaha) 9 laps, 7:10.590…
Prestige Race 2
1. Cody Webb (KTM) 10 laps, 6:50.910; 2. Colton Haaker (Husqvarna) 7:10.051; 3. Taddy Blazusiak (KTM) 7:13.609; 4. Cristobal Guerrero (Yamaha), 9 laps, 6:51.752; 5. Pol Tarres (Husqvarna) 9 laps, 7:13.480…
Prestige Race 3
1. Taddy Blazusiak (KTM) 12 laps, 7:35.335; 2. Colton Haaker (Husqvarna) 7:58.051; 3. Cody Webb (KTM) 8:04.231; 4. Pol Tarres (Husqvarna) 11 laps, 8:22.017; 5. Cristobal Guerrero (Yamaha) 10 laps, 7:39.342…
Championship Standings (After round 2)
1. Cody Webb (KTM) 109 points; 2. Taddy Blazusiak (KTM) 107 pts; 3. Colton Haaker (Husqvarna) 101 pts; 4. Kevin Gallas (Husqvarna) 58 pts; 5. Pol Tarres (Husqvarna) 56 pts; 6. Alfredo Gomez (Husqvarna) 46 pts…
Courtesy Husqvarna Motorcycles